Feeding Your Teen Machine
Information provided by the American Dietetic Association: Your Link to Nutrition & Health
Bigger appetites, busy lifestyles, mood swings, struggles for independence, peer pressure: they all challenge how and what your teenager eats. As a parent, there are ways you can positively influence the eating habits of your teen.
* Stock your kitchen with easy-to-grab nutritious snacks, such as whole fruit, yogurt, hummus, cut vegetables and string cheese.
* Make time for family meals. Even if you have to schedule around after-school activities and jobs, put family meals on the calendar days in advance.
* Discuss the options at fast-food restaurants with your teen.
* Help kids learn about healthy portion sizes by buying small bags of snacks.
* Set a good example by leading a healthy lifestyle yourself, complete with regular physical activity and healthful eating.