Holiday Leftovers - Is That Really Safe to Eat?
Information provided by the American Dietetic Association: Your Link to Nutrition & Health
Holiday meals usually produce more than enough food for leftovers, but how long are they safe to eat? Safely storing leftovers requires proper handling both when you serve your meal and when you pack it up afterward.
Follow these simple tips to enjoy leftovers without worrying about foodborne illness.
When in doubt, throw it out!
- Store leftovers in shallow containers, two inches deep or less.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within two hours of cooking the food.
- Remove turkey from the bone and store it separately from the stuffing and gravy. Sliced breast meat, legs and wings may be left whole.
- Eat leftover turkey within three to four days; eat stuffing and gravy within one to two days.
- Always reheat leftovers to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.